Where to Start

The Department of Civil Engineering at NMSU offers bachelor of science, master of science, and doctor of philosophy programs.

To learn more about the requirements for these programs, please check the most recent NMSU Undergraduate and Graduate Catalogs under Civil Engineering.

For the Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, the curriculum consists of 127 credit hours (please see CE curriculum chart and CE curriculum table). It is recommended that you become familiar with the curriculum to facilitate the meeting with your advisor each semester. Note that the general education requirements include Area IV, Area V, and Viewing a Wider World (VWW). These resources are available below.


Freshmen, Transfer, Undecided, Student-Athletes, and Academic Probation Students:

Beginning in the Fall 2017 semester, NMSU’s Center for Academic Advising and Student Support (CAASS) will provide centralized advising for students across NMSU. The Academic Advisors at CAASS are trained to use a new analytics tool known as CRM Advise to provide alerts based on student performance indicators. The academic advisors will assist students as they become self-directed learners by teaching them to develop educational plans directed toward their academic, career, and personal aspirations.

With the new model, current students who already have an established relationship with their faculty advisor can continue to work with that person. We understand how important your faculty mentors are and want you to continue to partner with them.  In addition to working with your faculty mentor, you will still receive proactive outreach and support from your academic advisor in the new CAASS in Garcia Annex.

CAASS will automatically place “academic advising” holds to prevent registration for all new and second semester freshmen and transfer students, undecided or exploratory students, student athletes, “Pre” majors (e.g. pre-nursing, pre-social work), students with less than a 2.5, and students whose GPA is less than required for their designated major requirements will have academic advising holds.

Sophomore, Junior and Senior Undergraduate Students: 

All faculty in the Civil Engineering Department serve as undergraduate advisors for students on a case-by-case appointment. During peak registration times, many professors will have an open-door advising policy. Students should attempt to contact an advisor in their area of concentration. For students who are undecided between structures, water resources, environmental and geotechnical areas of concentration should meet with Dr. Lambis Papelis, Dr. J. Phillip King, or Dr. David Jauregui.

Graduate Students

CE Graduate Students should seek advice about courses from the student’s research advisor to compliment their thesis/dissertation research and coursework. Students and Advisors should consult the appropriate degree program in the catalog.


Visit CAASS Webpage View 17-18 CE Catalog Download 17-18 CE Curriculum Chart
Download 17-18 CE Curriculum Table Download Area IV Requirements Download Area V Requirements

View VWW Requirements

Chi Epsilon Advising Night
NMSU Chi Epsilon hosts advising nights. Keep an eye out for their announcements posted around Hernandez Hall and on their Facebook Page
STudent Academic Requirements (STAR) audit system


Set “Format” to “PDF” to save your audit in a format for upload to the Online Advising Form.

You can see your progress towards the BSCE using the STAR Audit System.  After logging into the STAR audit system, populate the dropdown menus as shown in the screen shot.  Select “Catalog Year” to be the year in which you started in CE (i.e., declared CE your major), or any year after that time (if the requirements change and it is to your advantage to use a new catalog, you are welcome to do so).

Note that the STAR system is a tool, not the law.  Errors do occur in the system and thus the audit should be interpreted by an advisor.  The CE Department Head will request exceptions to correct such errors when they are identified.

When selecting the catalog year of your audit, you may follow the catalog of the year you began at NMSU or any subsequent catalog; however, you are not permitted to apply catalogs from years prior to your admission to NMSU. Undergraduate CE students will find relatively simple to follow flowsheets for the BSCE degree from catalogs under the above buttons.

Be sure to set “Format” to PDF.  DO NOT take screen shots and assemble them into a *.docx file.

Finding Mini-mester courses
  1. Log into
  2. Select “Student” along the horizontal menu.
  3. Select “Look up Classes” from the QuickLinks.
  4. Select the Term and click on the Submit button.
  5. Select “First 8 Weeks” and/or “Second 8 Weeks” in the “Part of Term” area of the form, then click on the “Selection Search” button.
  6. When you visit the office to add a mini-mester course, it’s a good idea to have a couple of alternatives selected as the few decent courses in this offering tend to fill rapidly.
Adding/Dropping a course

To add a course after the ADD deadline or drop a course before the W deadline, you will need to complete the Undergraduate Change of Schedule form, get all instructor signatures, then bring it to the CE office.

You obtain the CRN number, section number, etc from

Retroactive Registration Changes
  1. Complete a Petition for Retroactive Registration Changes and an add/drop slip.
  2. Original signature from the instructor and advisor is required on both add slip & form for approval of request to be processed.
  3. Hand-deliver form & change of schedule form to COE Registration, Goddard Hall Room 106